Feeling pumped up about your new blog? Want people to love your content? Here’s how to write blog post with a visually clean look.
Now, If you see the overall view of your site, you are likely to realize that blog posts are generally the most important thing that is capable of inducing a character to your site.
- The way you present a topic.
- The way you solve a particular problem.
- The way you include humour in your posts.
All adds up to the characteristics of your site.
Surely the appearance of your site matters but what’s the point if you don’t have a compelling and stirring post.
Plus you also need to make sure that it covers all the points of SEO so that it can boost your site rank.
So let us begin on how to write blog post…
Part 1- “how to write blog post”
If you are a beginner select a topic that is being neglected by others(bloggers) and is equally searched often by users.
This provides you with a lesser competitive environment for your blog post to shine through. Thus adding a point to your ranking factor.
After selecting a certain topic place it on keyword research tools such as-
Observe its volume and SEO difficulty.
The volume represents the traffic and SEO difficulty represents the difficulty for your post to rank.
The volume shall always be higher while the SEO difficulty shall always be lower.
After following the above steps if you are still unable to find your target keyword then dig deeper.
Use the child-keywords which appeared below the parent keyword to research further. This will help you find your target keyword.
Also, note that anything can be helpful at any point in time so don’t forget to extract all the keywords and other important points and store them in your folder.
3. Topic Research
Prioritize your audience. Make an effort to understand them.
- What they are searching for?
- What do they want to know?
and then compose your blog post.
- The “People also ask” section
It gives you a vivid idea of what your audience must be looking for.
Copy all the questions which you want to answer and then include them among the topics that you will be covering in your blog post.
- Do detailed research on google to back your facts.
- Use resources from popular bloggers as an example to back your facts.
How can the use of examples to back facts help you?
It helps to create a bond of trust between you and your audience plus it helps them to learn more about that topic.
4. Word Count
Word count matters a lot. If you want your post to perform exceptionally well, go for 2000 or above 2000 words per post.
Google will always look for the best content to present before its users.
Therefore higher word count can make Google prioritize your blog post more than others.
This can be because your word count could simply make google think that your post must have more information to offer, to its users.
At the same time please don’t go on to fill up your post with irrelevant points just for the sake of increasing your word count. It won’t work at all.
Neil Patel has given a detailed overview of optimum content length for each of these industries.
- FinTech – 2,000 – 2,150 words
- Finance – 2500
- Manufacturing – 1900
- Sales – 2700
- Real estate – 1900
- Home and garden – 1200
- Tech – 1000
- Gadgets – 500
- Marketing/Advertising – 3000
- Healthcare – 2000
- Fashion – 950
- Recruiting – 1000
- Travel – 1850
- Food – 1900
- Film – 1700
This chart will surely help you have a rough idea of the word count for your industry.
If you still experience confusion and think is it always necessary to write a post of >2000 words?
In that case, I will suggest you go through all the top searches for that specific keyword.
Now if you notice that others are writing a post of 1500 words then you must make it 2000 or more.
Trust me it will behave like a little tweak for your post to rank.
For this reason, it’s better to have more word count in your post.
How templates are helpful while writing a blog post?
- Firstly, let’s say that you have a ton of data to provide on a particular topic. But this ton of information can get overwhelming for the visitor to consume.
To overcome such situations a proper template must be followed to keep that information in a more composed and collected format.
- Secondly, it helps you create an outline that helps you to visualize the layout of your posts.
Example: the placements of a certain topic, points to include, and also its conclusion.
An outline can also help overcome writer’s block by giving it a direction to write about.
It also creates a direction for the readers to follow. This direction will help them connect to your approach and understand your point of view on that topic.
Always remember the main USP of your template must be bullet points.
The more you sort out the data in points , – The easier it is for the visitors to read. & – The more probability it will be for a visitor to stay.
Points help you layout your facts figures and data with a visually clean look.
Thus people are more likely to read it further, decreasing the bounce rate of your site.
Example: “How to write blog posts” Template-
When I started writing blog posts there was only one format that I kind of used to follow the most i.e.- Introduction, Main post, Conclusion.
But with each post I got a clear idea about the layout of a post.
The layout must be more composed so that each piece of information looks more collected, making it much easier to read.
Try to use the same template but of course it depends upon the type of post you will be delivering.
I will say go through all the websites of big bloggers that come under your niche and learn from them. Are they applying the same template or are they not?
If you study their website and profile you can learn all the small details to consider that do matter in the ranking of your post.
Topic selection done, keyword research done, word count analysis done, template selected or created, all checked. Now, let’s begin writing the post.
Part 2- “how to write blog post”
6. Attention crabbing/Intriguing headlines (Title tags)
As we know, Google search index provides its user with a list of posts based on a similar or relevant topic.
Attention-grabbing headlines is one of the things apart from meta description that will compel the readers to click through and specifically read out your post.
Now let’s dive into feelings that you should convey through your title.
- Time is running out so grab the opportunity before it leaves.
- Do not dare to move forward before reading out this important point.
- One unique detail that you failed to look at and if you do it the second time it won’t be a fault anymore.
Also remember, you shall never fail to deliver what you have promised to give. Therefore create headlines accordingly.
The introduction is where you must show your creativeness. Whether by using a classic joke, an emotion, or your amazing humour.
All of this is because, it is the point where you need to capture the attention of your reader, followed by persuading them to read your blog post.
” The essential difference between emotion and reason is that emotion leads to action while reason leads to conclusions. -Donald Calne “
This quote simply sums up what an introduction shall be about.
An emotion that will help you connect to your audience. Following which they will take an action to read it.
And the reason is the solution which you will provide to clear out their doubts. This will take them to a conclusion to read more about it.
Things you must include in your introduction?
- Identify a problem.
- Promise to solve the problem.
- A Peek into what unique/important information you will be bringing out.
- A sentence expressing an emotion such as-
- desires etc.
” Came to New York for the first time? Gonna be here for few days? Have an appetite for New York-style pizza?
Here are the best pizza places where you can drop by before you leave. “
” Wondering what point you may have missed while writing your first post?
Here are some valuable points from how to write blog post which you might have missed to include in your checklist. “
These examples also show you how to transition from addressing their problem to your main post.
8. Categorize Your Data
All the parts and subparts can be categorized using subheadings(H2, H3) and bullet points.
First of all keep a note that the H1 tag must be used only once in your blog post.
It signifies the title and even SEO recognizes it as the title of your post. Hence it may get confused if it sees that more than one H1 tag is embedded in your blog post.
H2, H3, and so on are the tags that should be utilized for defining the subheadings and nested subheadings of your blog post.
SEMrush – ” If your blog post is a book, subheadings are the chapters. “
Therefore use it accordingly.
8.2. Bullet Points
Bullet points make content easier to read because-
- It’s visually attention crabbing.
- It breaks overwhelming long paragraphs.
- It’s easier to scan through.
- It makes navigation easier.
- Helps consume data more quickly.
- Information is assembled in a cohesive format.
9. Use of Videos, Images, Infographics, Charts etc.
Overwhelmingly long paragraphs can leave the readers with a mundane experience.
This is where visuals infographics and charts come into play.
- First, the foremost thing the human eye notices is colour.
According to a Journal “Technical Communication- psychologically colour enhances and adds interest within us“.
It breaks the monotony of words and captures the attention of your readers in a visibly effective way.
- Second, visuals such as images, infographics, charts etc. Helps your reader envision your writing.
Suppose a baby knows the word apple and that it is round and orange. Here it knows what to think when it hears the word apple.
But the image will still remain blur until a clear picture is shown to him/her.
Therefore Visuals make the learning process easier, faster and engaging.
And a happy reader equals good chances of conversion.
Want to know more about conversion.
What can you add inside conclusion?
- Brief note about your post.
- Reason on why should people read your post carefully. Give them the most important aspect of your post.
- If your post is about a tutorial then you can give a little advice that will help your reader on how to further improve their skills.
- Final thoughts about your post.
- Ask your readers a question and comment their thoughts on it.
- Add “Call to Action(CTA)” plus a promising reason to do so.
Download their free template, subscribe to their premium content for free, etc.
11. Include Links
Links using anchor text will help readers explore your other blog posts.
Example Let’s say the post is about ” How to decorate a cake “.
Then you can link it to -” Types of nozzles to decorate your cake “.
Important SEO tip- the word/words selected for anchor text must say what your post is about.
Example: Nozzles shall be linked to “Types of nozzles to decorate your cake” and not “Essential ingredients required for baking“.
Part 3- “how to write blog post”
It is the final step of the editorial cycle where you read out your blog to mark your errors and correct them.
Big bloggers usually recommend that the best possible way to proofread your post is by reading it out loud or reading it with a fresh mindset.
It helps you make a checklist of all the grammatical errors, typos, and weird sentences where correction is needed.
13. Meta Description
It is a way to provide additional information about your post apart from the title of the post.
- Add at least one keyword in your meta description. It helps in ranking in the search result.
- Give a peek into the juiciest part of your content. It can generate curiosity among readers.
14. Featured Image
It is kind of like a thumbnail which is shown along with the title and meta description.
Use it to convey your topic of discussion. And you can also show a bit of creativeness which can help you to draw the attention of your audience.
These are all the necessary points that you must follow every single time you are writing your blog post.
How to write blog post-
- Topic you with a lesser competitive environment can help your post to shine through.
- Do a bit more research to find your target keyword.
- Use People also ask section to understand your audience needs.
- Use word count according to your industry.
- Outline can also help overcome writer’s block.
- Attention-grabbing headlines will compel the readers to read out your post.
- Promise to solve their problem while writing introduction.
- Parts and subparts can be categorized using subheadings(H2, H3) and bullet points.
- Videos, Images, Infographics, Charts etc. can help overcome a mundane experience.
- Anchor text will help your readers explore your other blog posts.
- Read out your blog to mark your errors and correct them.
- Add keyword in your meta description.
Hope now you can create a good blog post that will not only help you but your readers as well.
Also, let me know if I forgot something to include in my post. I will definitely include that as well.